I just had another one of my hairbrained schemes come INTO mind.
A Cyber Chinese Auction.
I don’t know if you’re familiar with the concept. (In the Poconos they’re called a “Tricky Tray”) part raffle/part auction. You buy a certain number of raffle tickets. There’s a wide variety of items up for bid. You bid on items by putting as many raffle tickets on items as you want, and the winner is drawn (so, theoretically, the more tickets on an item, the better your chances of winning.)
So here’s what I’m thinking:
- Running a Chinese Auction online for REAL prizes
- Sign up for an account and get five “virtual” tickets to start
- Buy additional tickets with PayPal
- We all pitch in items or services to be raffled (I can throw in my “Lotsa Fonts!” CD, Carole’s Chocolate Houses go over REALLY big in Auctions for our kid’s schools. You can also offer a site redesign… stuff like that)
- We choose different charities for each event
- Lots of publicity for people donating
What do you think? What would you like to see in something like this? How do you see it working?