I’ve been hearing a lot of rumors about old prophecies since Pope John Paul II’s death about him being the last Pope and Christianity fizzling out by the end of the 20th Century. Actually according to this book, and this conspiracy site, he is the next-to-last Pope. The link above interests me more, as Nostradamus predicts there would be five Popes after the controversial Pius XII. (JP2 was the fourth Pope after him)
Before I go on, if you don’t know how I feel about Nostradamus… let me explain:
If he gave me tomorrow’s lottery numbers, I wouldn’t bother playing them. However, his followers will see (after the fact) that he got two out of seven numbers correct, and will marvel at his eerie powers. 🙂 Yes, he’s right some of the time, but not all of the time. Usually, he’s so murky and ambiguous, his quatrains can be stretched to be interpreted into a lot of things.
I find Comedywriter’s Vestradamus far more entertaining.
Also, St. Malachy, in the 10th Century, wrote a list of all the future popes, with a description that more or less describes them (a bit of a stretch though). However, St. Malachy and Nostradamus both come to many of the same conclusions on this one.
It’s all long and drawn out, but here are the highlights:
– This upcoming Pope may be the last one, or the one who follows, known as “Peter the Roman” will be (I get the impression this “Peter of Rome” will be the one who destroys the Church and not a Pope).
– St. Malachy called John Paul II “De labore solis (From the Sun’s Labor)”. Note: JP2 was born during a solar eclipse.
– St. Malachi calls the Pope following JP2 as “De gloria olive (From the Glory of the Olive) ” believing him to have Jewish blood.
– Nostradamus predicts him to be “from the old French”, interpreted a Catholic of Jewish descent.
– He will be named Pius, and will flee the Vatican, stepping over the bodies of dead priests, go into hiding, and hunted down and cruelly killed.
– The Vatican will be destroyed.
– Estimated time of this will be around 2020 AD
Some people believe the Second Coming of Christ will happen, some simply believe Christianity will finally disintegrate… or this could all be horseshit like the Protocols of the Elders of Zion.
We’ll find out soon enough, won’t we?